Special Education & Student Services » School Social Work FAQ

School Social Work FAQ

What does a School Social Worker do?

School social workers’ main responsibilities are to provide help to students who are having difficulties in school due to attendance, economic, health, emotional, and/or family problems. These difficulties may include behavior problems, academic failure, underachievement, and substance abuse.

The school social worker also enforces Georgia Compulsory School Attendance Law. School social workers must make referrals to Juvenile or State Court when violations occur.

Additionally, school social workers provide the following services: crisis intervention, referrals to community agencies, counseling, groups, participation in the student support team process, program development, home visits, and involvement with community agencies and boards.

Who seeks help from the School Social Worker?


“I’m new here and feel nervous”

“I am worried about my work”

“I’m having trouble getting along with my friends”

“I just want to have someone to talk to”

“I don’t feel like going to school”


“Sam has difficulty getting along with us”

“My child seems so angry all the time”

“My child doesn’t seem to have any friends”

“We just had a death in our family”

“Emily doesn’t want to go to school”


“I need some ideas of how to develop positive relationships in class”

“My students seems very anxious all the time”

“Bobby is constantly fighting with everyone”

“I know of a family who is getting divorced”

How does a parent or student get to see the School Social Worker?

– Self-referral

– A parent calls and requests a visit

– A teacher feels their student would benefit

– A friend refers another friend

With whom does the Social Worker consult?

Teachers, Parents, Community agencies, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Administration